Monday, April 14, 2008

You Can't Take Them with You

Some of you may already know that I'll be traveling to Austria for ten days starting on Friday. I will be able to write posts while abroad, but of course if I do find the time to watch a film, my options will be limited to what I can fit on my PSP.

So I'm making this a democratic process, I'm less interested in picking the movies to take with me to Austria myself, and more interested to see what suggestions people with come up with. If you had to leave somewhere and could only take five movies with you, what would they be? Be creative! There's the obvious route of choosing your favorite movies, but I'd really like to see some themes here, whether it be traveling, movies related to Austria, or movies about the type of global issues that I might be discussing at the Salzburg Global Seminar.

So let's assume I can take five movies with me, and write the list as a comment! I read them all, and no suggestion will be glossed over, I promise!

Perhaps I will offer a special yet-to-be-decided prize (maybe a bronze Austrian owl statuette?) to each person who I take a movie suggestion from!

5 comments:

Anthony Benedetto said...

1) Rocky
2) Rocky 2
3) Rocky 3
4) Rocky 4: I think the Russian who Rocky fights and the Salzburg Global Seminar have more in common then you think.

and finally
5) Barn of the Naked Dead.... (This list was a joke by the way LoL.)

Ric Burke said...

10 days, 5 movies, sounds like utter bliss to me.

1) Start Austrian with Funny Games (Michael Hanake's 1997 original)
2) From outright horror to a master class heist movie, Rififi (Jules Dassin)
3) Swiftly on to Michael Mann's best movie, Heat
4) Sticking with that idea why not watch Dog Day Afternoon (Sidney Lumet)
5) Finish off with a warm smile and joy in your heart, The Straight Story (David Lynch)

Happy viewing

Anthony Benedetto said...

Ibetolis, That seems like the perfect 5 movies to watch. I need to see "Rififi" and "Heat" really is Mann's best film. "The Insider" is a close second. I have only see the recent release of "Funny Games" and I thought it was pretty good. Have you seen the American Version yet?

Olga Privman said...

Now, I could cheat altogether and list the entire Star Wars saga, throwing in episode VI as a bonus. However, I think I'll be fair and simply list your choice of lightsaber-oriented flick as one of the five options.

1. As mentioned, Star Wars movie of your choice.

2. Equilibrium -- it's a dystopian future/sci-fi sleeper hit that happened to make me fall in love with Christian Bale as an actor when virtually nothing else could, rest assured. He delivers a fantastic performance as a cleric and the film leads to many surprises as well as reasons to question our own principles. I'm relatively sure that it's loosely based on 'Brave New World.'

3. The Last Samurai -- Two words: Ken Watanabe -- THREE hours of him! Ohhhhh, cinematic heaven! :)

4. Seven Years in Tibet -- It's oddly and cruelly appropriate, primarily because of Pitt's sad attempt at an Austrian accent. Otherwise, this autobiographical feature about a man's bildungsroman journey from being an arrogant mountaneer to a worldly, enlightened man is a very interesting experience to behold. While seeing the Dalai Lama as a youngin' is simultaneously heartwarming, amusing and thought-provoking, the scenes of the Chinese invation of the hitherto holy and justifiably xenophobic capitol are equally sobering and effective. It's such a good movie that you'll find it difficult to believe that Heinrich Harrer actually lived this -- and still keeps in touch with the Dalai Lama! I want to read the original novel so badly.

5. Last and *certainly* not least -- SPINAL TAP! Funniest movie in existence. You'll see.

Review of their latest album, "On what day did God create Spinal Tap and coudn't he have rested on that day, also?"

If you haven't seen it yet, you'll love it. If you have, you can't really watch that movie too much.

Have a great time in Austria! That owl's mine ;) See you on Monday after the break.

Anonymous said...

1. American Beauty
2. Almost Famous
3. The Graduate
4. Babel
5. Juno
also 5. A Few Good Men