Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Shreaded Wheat and Fine Cinema

Since I was very small I've been having an on/off love affair with shredded wheat. Much to the dismay of my family and friends. It turns out, in shear tonnage consumed, most of Nabisco's revenue came straight from my too-eager-to-please Amuelita (may she rest in peace).

Cold milk, warm, it didn't matter. There is something about texture that appeals to me on a level beyond pedestrian taste buds clawing for simple sugars. Interpreting the subtleties and intricacies of plain wheat is a test of endurance and imagination. It's all about what you, the chewer, can bring to the shredded wheat experience. A good challenge for any palette.

Don't get me wrong, I've got shallower tastes as well. I love colorful marshmallows and chocotastic bits of carbohydrates swirling about in my discolored milk. The chaotic swirls and explosive clouds of food coloring, boy howdy, it's a visual feast. Fun for the whole family.

So call me pretentious, call me elitist but I have found a world of joy where others see a dreary wasteland. This is pure zen from a bowl of wheat.

5 comments:

Anthony Benedetto said...

Have you tried Boo Berry? What film is closely related to Boo Berry?

Adam Schnapper said...

Oh, I got it! Oliver Stone's Nixon

Anthony Benedetto said...

Why didn't I realize that. Your 100% right Adam.

Ric Burke said...

Got to say, you can't really beat a bowl of plain cornflakes with cold creamy milk and plenty of sugar around midnight. Now that's an experience beyond mere words.

Ron said...

Ibetolis has a fair point. Corn Flakes do fit into the plain-jane aesthetic of cereals. But in terms of the visual, Corn Flakes are too showy and attention grabbing to be considered purely intellectual on the same level as shredded wheat.

I love Corn Flakes anyway. Especially during the summer months. They catch to cool milk a little better.