Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Project

Being a media junkie, and being a former collector/pack rat, I'm familiar with taking things to absurd levels. Enter: DVD Backup software. It took me a few years, but I finally found the right software, and I'm archiving DVDs at full quality (an average of 7 gb for each disc) like a madman.

WHY? Well, the first reason is, because I can, now that I've got the tools! But also, I have not seen any movies. If you mention it, odds are I haven't seen it. So part II of this project is to see all these movies that I've missed throughout the years. I'm very much like The Janitor in Scrubs, watching movies like The Sixth Sense years after they've come out, and everyone has spoiled the ending the next day at work. So, an important thing to note is I am writing this movie blog with no authority on movies.

I'll let you use your imagination as to where the source DVDs come from, perhaps my collection of discs that I bought from Costco way back when ;-).
Anyway, 5 terrabytes of HD space later, I have a massive list of DVDs to watch, which I am attacking in no particular order, though I do occasionally group related movies together.

One thing that I have realized from this experience is that its hard to avoid an accidental relation between all the movies I've seemingly been picking at random. For instance, I have watched five Robert Altman movies and five Ridley Scott movies within only a couple months. That's a lot of unscripted dialog and fireball explosions.

Incidentally, I do not have a memory for numbers, I have a great database called DVD Profiler
(think iTunes for DVDs) that keeps track of everything. So I will throw out some other quick numbers:


873
Total number of DVD discs that I know I want to archive. (includes box sets)
441
DVD discs in my collection so far.
UPDATE 7/22 - 607 DVDs have been archived.

432 discs left on the wanted list. (every movie I could think of and some TV eps)

54 movies I have watched so far.
10 hard drives storing the discs (boy it gets hot in here!)
4 months ago I started this project.
0 discs are backed up on an alternate hard drive.

So there you have it, the absurdity of the project in numbers. As for 10 hard drives, I'm really not sure what I will do in the summer. 6 of those hard drives are in one PC case which I have not taken steps to cool at all. This may soon turn into a tragic cautionary blog, who knows!


3 comments:

Ric Burke said...

Enjoying the blog Adam. I've got a film blog as well, do you mind if I link up with your one? Take a look and see what you think?

http://filmforthesoul.blogspot.com/

Adam Schnapper said...

Hey, great! I like your blog as well, I'll take a closer look when I have the chance. And I'll add you to my list of links, and you can do the same. How did you find Cereal and a Movie?

Keep Blogging,

-Adam

Ric Burke said...

I subscribe to the Criterion Contraption and I saw you post, followed the link and that was that.

I've added your link to my blog and I hope this is the beggining of a cool blogging