Sunday, March 23, 2008

Bee Movie


Something has always been oddly stiff about Dreamworks animations. Not that I wouldn't love to be a part of creating them, they are magnificent by any standard, and the modeling and effects are top notch. (just to differentiate, all the characters, scenery, textures, and effects are done in separate teams, and animation teams bring life to them). However in comparison to the powerhouse animation teams at Pixar, the actual animation that takes place in these worlds is really some how, well, less animated. Leave it to a blue fuzzy monster and a fish to change the way I look at animation.

Anyway that BEE-ing said, I liked this movie. I subscribe to the obvious Seinfeld bias. I love his humor, and it doesn't tire on me, bee or not. It may not have (as Josh noted) the clear moral compass and narrative of a Pixar film, but it excels in other ways.

Here are my notes:

-One odd thing is the extent to which the bees have human things within their hive. Why should they drive around in cars? Why can't they just fly, like bees? Some humanisms work better on bees than others apparently.

-I've seen enough of the Discovery Channel's How its Made to recognize the influences taken from a real candy manufacturing line on the fictional honey making process. Yeah, I know a lot of useless crap!

-The bee job seeking desk is surprisingly like signing up for classes on our school's online system, eSims.

-Why the hell does Barry know what box kite is the instant he sees one after leaving the hive? Most humans wouldn't know a box kite from any other.

-Patrick Warburton (The Tick, David Putty) does a lot of yelling! It's a little much. His voice must be so hoarse between voicing for this and Family Guy.

-Renee Zellweger is much more pleasant when we don't have to see her in the flesh. Oooh burn.

-
I love the allusion to The Graduate, but they for got the most fun part, the match cut! In the case of the graduate, the match cut was Ben on floaty raft, to Ben on Mrs. Robinson.

-Ray Liotta also does mostly yelling. He didn't even break out his angry voice that much for Goodfellas.

-Chris Rock's role was terrible. And Roger Ebert says its the only redeeming thing about the movie. Interesting.

-Remember Jerry Seinfeld's real Larry King appearance? It was really awkward and uncomfortable, in contrast to Barry's appearance. (now that I watch it again, I think it would seem different with the aid of a laughing studio audience)

-"Honeyburton and Hunron!" made me giggle.

So those are my notes, for all those who liked Ratatouille much better, I will taking a look at that movie soon.

No comments: